Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lament


I have been faithful
To you, my language,
Language of my dreams,
My sex, my laughter, my curses.
How often have I
Stumbled, catching you
Short when you should be
Free, snagging on curves,
Till fools have called me
Fool. How often have you
Betrayed me, faithless!
Disowned me –a woman
You could never marry,
Whom you have tired
Of long ago.

I have faithful
Only to you,
My language. I choose you
Before country,
Before what eyes see
Mouth, full-hearted, taste.
I choose you before
Lover and husband,
Yes, if need be,
Before child in arms,
Before history and all
It makes, belonging,
Rest in the soil,
Although everyone knows
You are not mine.
They wink knowingly
At my stupidity-
I, stranger, foreigner,
Claiming rights to
What I have no right-
Sacrifice, tongue
Broken by fear.


By; Shirley Lim



“I have no idea why I wrote this poem, it’s something I can feel, but I can’t reach the heart”
20.31, 23 Mei 09
D-G-4

0 comments: